Because this is a "fee" the method chosen to distribute the ballots is through a private company, not the County Elections Office. The "ballot" may look more like an advertisement since the return address is the Clean Water group. A copy of the envelope can be found here: CCCWP Outgoing Env v1.pdf
CoCoTAX is opposing this measure for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to:
- The "fee" differs in three areas in Contra Costa County that seem to have no other basis than what polls show people will pay.
- The fee is not modest like they emphasize (businesses can pay thousands of dollars) and the fee can be raised annually for the next ten years.
- There is already a similar fee on your tax bill that is now up to $30 and it was stated during the public hearing that they needed this new fee because that was not enough money.
- The "calculations" include vague number justification and include dubious amounts for public outreach. The massive amounts of money being spent in advertising shows what is at stake.
- There is no scientific studies that validate the claims that are being made for the need for many of the issues raised.
- The trash reduction component is unrealistic and could actually cause flooding when such small particulates are trapped. (think leaves in the fall